A major part of the California Browncoat’s mission is to raise funds for other non-profit charities. In order to choose the charities, we have a tiered selection process. For each event or fund raiser, we try to enlist the help of a celebrity spokesperson/sponsor from the cast or crew of Firefly or Serenity. The spokesperson/sponsor will choose the charity that receives the funds we raise at that event. We will also run a fundraiser at the behest of a cast or crew member of Firefly or Serenity, such as an eBay auction for a special item. If we do not have a spokesperson/sponsor for a specific event, our Board of Directors will select the charity to receive funds from the event. Most events support multiple charities.
The California Browncoats are proud to have supported the following charities.
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital – The mission of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is to advance cures, and means of prevention, for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. Consistent with the vision of our founder Danny Thomas, no child is denied treatment based on race, religion or a family’s ability to pay.
- Marine Corps – Law Enforcement Foundation – The mission of MCLEF is to encourage the spiritual, moral, intellectual and physical development of children through education. This Foundation was formed in February of 1995 by former Marines and law enforcement personnel who strongly believe that our nation’s most precious resource is its youth.
- The Al Wooten, Jr. Heritage Center – The Al Wooten Jr. Heritage Center is a neighborhood approach to the revitalization and empowerment of a community in crisis. We provide a safe and nurturing environment committed to good citizenship and academic excellence.
- Equality Now – Equality Now works for the protection and promotion of the human rights of women and girls around the world. Working with grassroots women’s and human rights organizations and individual activists since 1992, Equality Now documents violence and discrimination against women and mobilizes international action to support efforts to stop these abuses.
- Kids Need to Read Foundation – Kids Need to Read works to create a culture of reading for children by providing inspiring books to underfunded schools, libraries, and literacy programs across the United States, especially those serving disadvantaged children.
- Waterkeeper Alliance – Waterkeeper Alliance provides a way for communities to stand up for their right to clean water and for the wise and equitable use of water resources, both locally and globally. The vision of the Waterkeeper movement is for fishable, swimmable and drinkable waterways worldwide. Our belief is that the best way to achieve this vision is through the Waterkeeper method of grassroots advocacy.
- Best Friends Animal Society – The mission of Best Friends is to bring about a time when there are no more homeless pets.
- The Young Storytellers Foundation – The Young Storytellers Foundation develops literacy through the art of storytelling. Using group exercises and one-on-one mentoring, we provide underserved children in the public school system an opportunity to write stories and see them brought to life through performance. Our mission is to inspire children to discover the power of their own voice.
- Puppies Behind Bars – A non-profit organization dedicated to training prison inmates to raise puppies to be guide dogs for the blind. Puppies Behind Bars, Inc. formally came into existence in July 1997, and the program was initiated at the Bedford Hills Correctional Facility in November 1997
- Oxfam International – Oxfam is an international confederation of 15 organizations working together in 98 countries and with partners and allies around the world to find lasting solutions to poverty and injustice.
- The Trevor Project – The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth.
- The ALS Association – Established in 1985, The ALS Association is the only national non-profit organization fighting Lou Gehrig’s Disease on every front. By leading the way in global research, providing assistance for people with ALS through a nationwide network of chapters, coordinating multidisciplinary care through certified clinical care centers, and fostering government partnerships, The Association builds hope and enhances quality of life while aggressively searching for new treatments and a cure.
- Save the Children – Save the Children is the leading independent organization creating lasting change in the lives of children in need in the United States and around the world. Recognized for our commitment to accountability, innovation and collaboration, our work takes us into the heart of communities, where we help children and families help themselves. We work with other organizations, governments, non-profits and a variety of local partners while maintaining our own independence without political agenda or religious orientation.
- The Dyslexia Foundation – The Dyslexia Foundation (TDF), a non-profit organization, was established in 1989 to identify and assist children with dyslexia – to establish higher levels of learning through specialized programs promoting better reading.
- Lupus Foundation of America – The Lupus Foundation is devoted to solving the mystery of lupus, one of the world’s cruelest, most unpredictable, and devastating diseases, while giving caring support to those who suffer from its brutal impact.
- Kids Company – Kids Company was founded by Camila Batmanghelidjh in 1996. Theyprovide practical, emotional and educational support to vulnerable inner-city children. Their services reach 36,000 children across London, Bristol and Liverpool, including the most deprived and at risk whose parents are unable to care for them due to their own practical and emotional challenges. For many, the roles of adult and child are reversed and, despite profound love, both struggle to survive.
- The Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research – The Michael J. Fox Foundation is dedicated to finding a cure for Parkinson’s disease through an aggressively funded research agenda and to ensuring the development of improved therapies for those living with Parkinson’s today.
- Antaeus Company – Antaeus is a cooperative theater ensemble founded to empower the actor and to bring classical theater to Los Angeles. The company exists to create a family of artists and audiences and is dedicated to exploring stories with enduring themes.
- The Fred Hollows Foundation – Their vision is for a world where no one is needlessly blind, and Indigenous Australians enjoy the same health and life expectancy as other Australians.
- Royal Free Charity – The Royal Free Charity raises and spends millions every year making possible the extraordinary and the ordinary – from pioneering research that revolutionizes patient care through to everyday improvements in hospital services and facilities. We are driven by both the needs of the present, and the richness of our heritage, and all of our work has a single, clear aim: to continually improve health care at the Royal Free Hospital.
- Lycée International – LILA is an international, preschool through 12th-grade school committed to academic excellence in a nurturing and intimate environment that encourages personal initiative, creativity and curiosity. Students are challenged through the rigorous and well-balanced bilingual curricula of the French and International Baccalaureate institutions. Their goal is to develop confident, caring, and open-minded critical thinkers who will thrive in a diverse competitive world.
- Cocker Connection – All donations, 100%, DIRECTLY benefit rescue dogs and help to continue to rescue them and provide them with good medical care, high quality food, collars, leashes, harnesses and ID tags, grooming, bedding, toys, and sometimes boarding costs.
- City Year – Partner swith most at-risk schools to help bridge the gap between what their students need and what the schools are designed to provide. In doing so, we’re helping students reach their full potential and graduate high school in communities all across America.
- Urban Arts Partnership – Urban Arts Partnership advances the intellectual, social and artistic development of underserved public school students through arts-integrated education programs to close the achievement gap.
- Soldier Stories Entertainment – Soldier Stories Entertainment is a boutique independent production and Development Company in Los Angeles, CA founded by actor Jon Huertas.
- Friendship for Integrated Development Association – FIDA is a local non-governmental organization (NGO) based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. FIDA supports the poorest, most vulnerable and marginalized segment of the Ethiopian population, particularly children, adolescents and women.
- Child’s Play – Child’s Play seeks to improve the lives of children in hospitals and domestic violence shelters through the generosity and kindness of the video game industry and the power of play.